i cant get no... satisfaction

Posted by Colston | | Posted On Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ok- Maybe its not sin... but maybe its not as good as everyone thinks it is!
Have you ever experienced a time in life where things were just good enough? I know I have. In the area of physical fitness, a little light jog for 3 minutes and 7 push-ups are good enough. Honestly Im ok with that, until I look in the mirror. Once I see my reflection, good enough doesnt look so good. However, due to the amount of energy and effort and the pain to push beyond good enough, I settle for it. I dont want to pay the price of moving past good enough.

Think of it in terms of our walk with God. As Christians we have a certain level of "Christian" that we try and achieve and we are statisfied with that. The level looks something like this- no smoking, drinking, cussing, or watching rated R movies. We listen to Christian music, we go to church and we help out once and a while.
This for most pastors is the level that they desires for their members. Now granted most pastors wont admit that this is good enough but when you look at what the ministry looks like, I bet you will find something interesting.
So in the Christian world, there is a comfortable mediacrocy that has taken over our churches. We have been satisfied with the middle of the road.
However, the question I ask myself is WHY. Why are we satisfied? Why do we think that this is good enough? Why dont we push people past medicrocy? I dont think Jesus ever was satisfied with medicrocy, so why are we?
My opinion is only good enough for me... So you can toss it out with Thursday's garbage if you so like. My opinion is that we preach and teach with a level of satisfaction. We applaud satisfaction. We strive for it and we work for it and when people achieve it we hold our head high and pat ourselves on the back. My opinion is that the Christian life never has satisfaction and we should always have dissatification.
After reading Seth Godin's blog on Dissatisfaction Guaranteed, I have a new perspective when I teach. Every time God's word is opened there should be some dissatisfaction in my heart with what God's word says and my lifestyle and the way they dont line up. If I open God's word to simply to reach a level of morality and that is it, I have failed the Gospel.
When I look out to the audience that is listening to God's word, if I cannot communicate in a way that they feel dissatisfaction with their walk, then am I really speaking for life change?

Dissatisfaction needs to become the norm. Dissatisfaction should motivate, push, drive us to change. The Gospel demands change from our lives... not just a couple of changes here or there... a lifetime of continual change.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for i cant get no... satisfaction